Fair Trade Rwanda Coffee
a great coffee with a greater mission
One Thousand Hills Fair Trade Coffee is a superb, rich-tasting custom roast that has grown from an amazing partnership among Paramount Coffee, Michigan State University and the devoted farmers of war-torn Rwanda.
Following the 1994 war and genocide in the east African country, a program was initiated with MSU's Institute of International Agriculture and the U.S. Agency for International Development linking Rwanda's depressed coffee farmers with important coffee industry organizations throughout the world. The result is the development of better farming techniques, the best coffee processing practices and access to global markets that are bringing hope and success to the devastated farmers of Rwanda.
pearls of hope
The Partnership to Enhance Agriculture in Rwanda through Linkage (PEARL) is accomplishing great things:
- Supporting the growing movement toward socially responsible Fair Trade programs
- Helping farmers organize in cooperatives and pool essential resources
- Creating a vibrant outreach system to share technology and knowledge
- Teaching the painstaking tasks of washing and sorting to separate higher quality beans from average beans
- Assisting in marketing and sales to link Rwanda with the global marketplace
Paramount Coffee proudly roasts, packages and markets One Thousand Hills coffee as part of the PEARL project in a continuing commitment to socially and environmentally responsible business practices.